1. Stand up for what you believe in, even if no one else believes it.
2. Be a leader. A pioneer is someone who paves the way for others; don't be afraid to voice your opinions or to go above those who paved the way before you.
3. Do not live life by the lowest common denominator. I'm pretty sure my mom said this all the time growing up. I'm pretty sure she still says it. Just because so-n-so in your ward does [insert whatever] doesn't mean it's okay for you to do it too.
4. Realize it's okay to struggle. The pioneers struggled, but they turned to the Lord for strength, guidance, and direction. We can do the same. Modern and personal revelation still apply today.
5. Do not fear. Fear is a huge competitor for space in our lives and it's something that is so subtle that it is easy to overlook until we are overcome. Hard times have come and gone and come again. It is imperative to be steadfast and have courage.
What else can we do to be modern day pioneers?